Nordbo Robotics’ advanced polishing software (MIMIC) increases productivity with 70% by automating manual polishing processes.
did the costumer face?
Amphenol Phoenix was in need of a solution to optimize both their rough and fine polishing processes of MIM (Metal Injected Moulding) parts as they were offered to produce the hinge of the Apple AirPod casing.
This gave them the following challenges:
- Increasing demand and high quality requirements
- A shortage of qualified workers, making it hard to grow with the demand
- Low repeatability causing high scrap volume, making it hard to be profitable
- Using specialized machinery required a high investment and the machines were only useable during the lifetime of the produced product
- Hard to find automated solutions that can create the same finish as a skilled polisher
How did Nordbo Robotics
address these challenges?
To solve these challenges Nordbo Robotics used the unique MIMIC technology to record the motion of a skilled worker during manual processing of the part. This makes it possible to record the optimal path and the necessary applied force to “mimic” the exact same finish a skilled worker produces at the top of his performance. The recorded program is then transferred to one or multiple robot cells, to make it easily scalable to the required demand, and executed with precise force control which is monitored to get direct feedback on the operating performance.
Using the skills of the worker and the repeatability of the robot together with Nordbo Robotics polishing software and force control, gave Amphenol the following results:
- Increased productivity and throughput with 70% compared to manual processing
- Increased quality ratio with an average of 35%
- Return Of Investment (ROI) of 1,5 year
- Improve workplace ergonomics and safety within post-processing department
The Nordbo software was implemented using the following hardware set-up:
- 1x Manual teach station with MIMIC- & Force recording
- 4x UR5 robots
- 8x Nachi MZ07 robots
- 12x Nordbo Controller
- 12x robot polishing cells with automated in- & outfeed